One woman is warning others about the dangers of aerosol dry shampoo after a can exploded in her 19-year-old daughter's car "like a missile," breaking through the sunroof. Thankfully, no one was hurt.
Her daughter kept a bottle of Equate Tea Tree dry shampoo in the car's center console, Christine Debrecht explained in a Facebook post. "The lid of the console was closed," she wrote. "It was hot yesterday and the can exploded. It blew the console cover off of its hinges, shot through the sunroof, and went high enough in the air that it landed about 50 feet away."
At first, Debrect told Today, she thought that a brick had come through the sunroof from above. When she noticed white powder all over the car's interior, she realized the dry shampoo was the culprit.
This isn't the first dry shampoo-related explosion to go viral. Back in 2017, multiple Ipsy Glam Bag subscribers reported that the aerosol cans of Luseta Beauty Volume Reviving Dry Shampoo they had received in a monthly beauty box had exploded in their cars.
A combination of volatile gasses like butane and propane, extreme heat, and pressure likely caused the explosion, David Constable, science director of the American Chemical Society's Green Chemistry Institute, explained to Today. "You really shouldn't leave cans under pressure in a hot car, that's just common sense," he said.
The front of the Equate can shows a warning that reads: "DANGER. Extremely flammable. Container may explode if heated."
Walmart, which owns the Equate brand, said this in a statement to Allure: "Our Equate Dry Shampoo includes a specific warning, like most aerosol products, that it may explode if heated and not stored as directed."
You can follow Allure on Instagram and Twitter, or subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date on all things beauty.
Facial Mask, Bath Salt, Essential Oil, Beauty Equipment - Chinlee Shining,https://www.sjzchinleeshining.com/